Countdown

Yikes! Less then 10 days to go before the biggest adventure of my season. I'm hesitant to call it a race just yet - the primary goal is to finish in one piece with a smile and have fun along the way. That doesn't mean I don't have a goal time in mind, but I'm also going to be realistic. If the wheels come off halfway through, finishing is more important then the time on the clock. At the same time, health is more important then crossing the line. Its an adventure for sure and I think will be one of the hardest things I've done. I know the on the bike prep has been done and I'm ready to ride. I've been slacking a little on some of the off the bike training, but hopefully that won't affect me too badly in the later hours. We've had fun scouting the different segments of the course and I know I can ride everything. I just need to keep my head attached and never get cocky or overconfident. That alone could end the ride.

There's only a few loose ends to tie down prior to the 6th - and some of them like clothes will be dictated by the weather handed to us at 10:00. Just like at a 24 hour race, I will have options depending on the skies. I know all of the items in my pack work and are comfortable in cold, rain and clear dark skies. The night riding will be fun and I'm eager for the descent down Canyon Creek. I never thought I'd say that a few years ago... At the same time, climbing up Old Monarch towards the sunrise will be exhilarating. There are so many factors of this event that I'm looking forward to - most of all the experience. 

I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous though. I am. Very nervous. It's a big day on the bike with many chances for things to go wrong. All I can do is roll up as prepared as possible for whatever happens and ride my bike. Stay within myself, focused on the section of trail I'm on and not worried about everyone else. Just ride my bike and be smart. That will get me to the finish.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A long way on foot - Sheep Mountain Endurance Run

Mortality

Regaining my mojo

Friends with the Monsters..